Monday 14 October 2013

Had a read through the interview at the back of Steven Shore's 'Uncommon Places - The Complete Works' between Shore and Lynne Tillman.

Points of particular interest to myself were Shore describing the decision making process Warhol went through when making his work. This echoed my own thoughts that creating an image  is a process, one where the photographer can have any degree of control they choose, depending on the type of image and the scenario. Although this may seem obvious, I feel it is a fundamental of image making, and perhaps why I like to make the sort of image where I can take time to consider these decisions, rather than, for example sport or street photography which is more reactive to the circumstances presented.

Shore goes on to talk about the changing way images were presented, and the way this presentation was accepted by the viewing public,.

Again, I identified with his description of walking down a street and seeing the way different elements interacted, and the way that interaction changes as one moves along, different images and nuances forming as the scene subtly changes. It put me in mind of the Channel 4 trailers where, as the camera angle changes, a large number four forms on the screen then disintegrates as the angle of view moves on.

After reading the interview, I looked up the work of the following on the internet, all of whom are mentioned in the interview:

Walker Evans
John Coplans
Lee Friedlander
Duane Michals
Gerhard Richter
Agnes Martin
Barnett Newman
Ed Ruscha

No comments:

Post a Comment