Tuesday 4 February 2014

Starting to find a 'Look'

Felt like some progress was being made towards the major project, I have done a few images lately which I am reasonably happy with. Some will need to be re-visited and re-shot with slight tweaks to composition or balance of daylight to artificial light ratio before I have anything I am happy to send for assessment, but at least things are going in the right direction and I feel I am close to something concrete on which to base the feel of the project.

The shot below is an example. I really like the general look and atmosphere of the shot. The riverbank at the bottom and towpath put me in mind a little of the Andreas Gursky shot (The Rhine II) which was sold for a few million a couple of years back, though obviously I would expect my shot to fetch quite such a fee.


I'm in two minds about the centrality of the tower block, I may re-shoot with it in a different position within the frame. I don't remember it being so central when I framed the shot, but in a way I like the boldness of it stuck there in the middle. I'm happy with the lighting in the flats, the church and the yellow streak of lights from a passing tram. The aspect of looking over the fields towards the traces of  protruding urbanisation fits into my theme well.

I'm continuing with my reading of 'The Language of Landscape' by Anne Whiston Sprin, though it is turning out to be very different to what I expected. Though there are many interesting philosophical points raised in the book, I haven't found much that could be applied to my own project. Hopefully something more relevant will appear with further reading.

In the meantime, I've been looking at 'Around the M60' by Matthew Hyde, Aidan O'Rourke and Peter Portland; which is very relevant to my project in the sense of providing background info to the areas included in my study. A fascinating book with many historical insights in to the area, it charts the development of the M60 up to the point of the book's publication. Whether it will influence the outcome of my project remains to be seen, but it is certainly providing me with more ideas for locations to check out.

Still no progress on the 'Colour Accent' brief. I have my tail trapped in the door with this one at the moment and I'm feeling very frustrated with it, and seem to be wasting a lot of time trying out ideas which don't work for it. Hopefully I'll get a break though with it soon. Nonetheless, at least my ideas for other projects are progressing.




No comments:

Post a Comment